Tuesday, October 30, 2007

HW 24: Where is my Room?

I must say that I don’t have a room of my own. It seems pretty hard to believe since we have so many resources today that would allow me to have my own room. I run into one problem though, I am not open to a lot of new ideas and thoughts. “The whole of the mind must lie wide open if we are to get the sense that the writer is communicating his experience with perfect fullness” (Woolf, Chapter 6). As Woolf says there is no way to find completeness without throwing yourself completely into your work. I cannot do this because I don’t have a room to let these thoughts out. Maybe because there has not been a place that I call mine, I’ve always shared places with others. Another problem I have ran into is my narrow minded self, I always thought I was a sensitive person but when looking at the bigger picture I am mistaken. When looking at most situations in my life I have taken a prejudice to my own sex, I do not know if it was instilled in me or just a view I have chosen. “But, alas, I had done what I had determined not to do; I had slipped unthinkingly into praise of my own sex” (Woolf, Chapter 5). This is evidence that it is not just me that falls into this prejudice, after pondering this thought I have come to the conclusion that it is just our nature to do this. We have a certain attachment to our sex and Woolf is trying to attempt this bridge to understanding the other sex.

No comments: