Thursday, September 13, 2007

HW 5b: What is the Problem With Main Stream Media?

In the chapter I Blog, Therefore I Am, David Kline protests that blogging will take over the mainstream media. Kline comes out with many facts that emphasize his point that newspapers, magazines and television are losing their fan base that they once had. In fact, they celebrate the fact that online use only increases in numbers while other sources for news are declining. When first reading this I would have to strongly disagree with these claims and found myself laughing at some points. When I thought that this chapter was going nowhere, Kline starts to contradict his earlier statements and verifies my beliefs that main stream media is still a major part in our world today. Main stream media will actually profit off of blogs, Kline admits. Then Kline goes back to the fact that blogs and other easily accessible media to the normal person are growing in popularity at an alarming rate. Kline claims that blogging gives citizens the voices they never had before in our society. People are getting a chance to express their ideas on a bigger stage where their voices will be heard.
My main concern with this chapter would have been the allegation that main stream media is dying. I know that Kline says later that this is not completely true, but he does not protest this point very well. He focuses more on the point that blogging is the future and newspapers and television will fail in keeping up. It just pisses me off that he contradicts himself later and plays it off like there is nothing wrong with that.

No comments: