Thursday, September 20, 2007

HW 9: The Good and Bad That Comes With Blogging

After, reading the title for the chapter “A Weblog Saved My Life Last Night”, I became very intrigued and wanted to know more. In this chapter you hear about Ayelet Waldman’s personal life and her opinions about blogging. There were some interesting points brought up about blogging and I have come to find that I agree with many of these statements. Mrs. Waldman explains that bloggers have a different voice then people that would write to a newspaper. She states that when you blog it is needed to have a bigger or more profound voice to get your opinions heard. I cannot agree more with Mrs. Waldman on this subject, bloggers differ from other writers because of the attitude that goes into their written work. She also believes that when blogger’s write it is more out of anger than positive thoughts. From what I have seen from blogger’s I would have to concur with this statement. When I read blog’s it is usually complaining about a subject or issue, rarely I will see a positive blog. It is not a bad thing but it would be okay to see some more optimistic blog’s that people could get encouragement from. I did not agree with everything Mrs. Waldman said during this chapter, one point stuck out to me though. Mrs. Waldman protests that blogging is a great place to meat strangers, and on these sites you are able to open up with these strangers and get helpful advice. I think Mrs. Waldman is mistaken because she overlooks the fact that these strangers are not completely reliable. The main word in that sentence would have to be strangers, since growing up it has been implanted in each person’s head that you cannot trust strangers. I cannot open up with a stranger that I have not met in person and have not seen what this individual is like. How do you know if this advice is going to be helpful? It is too risky to have trust in a person with your deepest affairs when you don’t even know what they look like.

No comments: