Tuesday, September 18, 2007

HW 7: The Parent Protection Agency

Do you think it is okay for a 13 year old to have his parents looking through his e-mails, text messages and IM’s? It is not appropriate for parents to do these kinds of things, by the time your son or daughter is in middle school they need to have some privacy. These forms of communication that kids use today are still supposed to be private. When parents look at their children’s technologies they use to communicate they should remember that these technologies are like a diary. As Emily Nussbaum states in her article, “My So Called Blog,” diaries were taken very seriously in a teenager’s life. “Back in the 1980’s, when I attended high school, reading someone’s diary would have been the ultimate intrusion.”(Kline and Burnstein, 351). Emily is stating that parents know how it is to have something like a diary and should respect their children’s “online diaries”. I feel like it is an intrusion when you look at text messages or IM’s because personal things are said to one another. I would not expect my parents to come and look through my phone try and find the text messages and read them while I am not present. That is disrespectful and parents may think that they are being mature and a good parent by doing this but it is childish.

Kline and Burstein, Blog!

No comments: